Tuesday, September 12, 2006

movie night

I liked the movie. I didn't love it, love it, love it like some people did. I appreciated the fact that it was a grown-up comedy. I liked that it had a happy ending, even if it left all kinds of things unresolved. I liked all the actors. It was good.
I guess the movie was slightly over-shadowed by the giddiness of being out on a date with my husband for the first time in 3 and a half months. I didn't even realize it until we were sitting at dinner and talking. I thought, this is really nice. I missed this. And I started thinking back and I realized that in WI, we didn't have a night out alone. Before that, I was in WI by myself for 7 weeks. Before that we had gone out with friends a few times. So the last actual date we had was probably around the 10th of May. Yikes.
So the alone time was good; we had a dinner at a place we walked by called Spice. It was just sort of modern bistro but we had a table on the terrasse and a nice bottle of wine and everything came quickly so we didn't have to stress out about getting to the cinema on time. After the movie we were going to meet up with some friends but their plans had sort of fallen apart so we just went over to Pershing Hall for a drink (apple martine for me and strawberry/champagne cocktail for B. I don't think he is even slightly affected by the concept of "girly drinks". He has never been frightened off by the sight of an umbrella and fruit stick. Not entirely sure how I feel about that...)
A think about Pershing Hall. I have been there quite a few times and I have had drinks both upstairs and downstairs. I like both rooms equally well. But, the last two time I showed up, they have been really dramatic about announcing that I will have to sit downstairs- the upstairs bar is full. I don't care, whatever, and we sit down. But why is it such a big deal? Is there supposed to be something really awesome upstairs? Are they being apologetic? Or are they telling me I am not making the cut? Suspect it is the latter as I will notice people going upstairs later as we sit at our table. The first time this happened, it was even more confusing as there were quite a few "people" sitting downstairs that I recognized- Claire Chazel, Kenzo, Christian Karembeau. I really like the comfortable chairs and the music (not too loud, but not too elevator-y) but I don't really want to go more often because it is sure to give me a complex about my social standing in the Paris nightlife hierarchy. Makes me feel very middle-aged mom. Yeck.

No comments: