Wednesday, May 16, 2007

No time to recover

I got out of bed this morning, to the tap!tap!tap! of the builders next door. The good news is that the apartment upstairs has apparently almost been completed- and the owners sent everyone in the building orchids to say sorry for the noise. I don't have to tell you that they are not French- and the bad news is that the ravalement of the building next door has just begun. Thank god I don't have the social life I used to or I would be pulling my hair out by now.

Not only do they start making noise at 8:30 every morning, but they wander around on the scaffolding just outside my kitchen window. Since I don't have curtains in the kitchen, I have been trying to remember that I will need to grab my robe before stumbling into the kitchen to make Ella's early morning bottle. Have only been moderately successful in this task. I don't know which is worse- the hot days when I am caught in all my glory in my birthday suit trying to decipher the buttons on the microwave when my eyes are still stuck shut from sleep, or the cold mornings when I am caught wearing a ratty old T-shirt and gym socks.

I was only about halfway through my morning coffee when the phone rang. "What time did I want to meet?" I was too sleepy to even try and cover up my complete confusion. Turns out that on Saturday night, I made plans to meet up with two friends this afternoon for a tour around Pompidou... or something. My friend sounded a bit miffed that I had so totally forgotten about this plan and so I quick threw in the old "No, thats not it. I just thought it was Tuesday today. THATS why I was so confused when you called. Of course, I remember the plan!" Actually, I might have been a bit drunk that night? I didn't think so. Restaurant was lovely but totally packed and since we were 9 people, we were emptying bottles of wine much faster than the waiter was bringing refills. I actually think I just wasn't listening at all, and just agreed heartily to cover up my wandering attention. Oops. Lesson learned.

All I wanted to do this afternoon was take a nap and then get my legs waxed. The nap will have to wait, but I will be ditching the expo as soon as is possible to swing by the new Body Minute over on rue Saintonge in the 3rd. I have a special coupon for 15 euro off, to use by the 19th so I absolutely have to go.

And now I just found out that I have another birthday party to go to on Saturday night. Once again, I was apparently invited ages ago and completely spaced out about it. Note to self: Must start actually listening when people speak to me. Or possibly make an appointment to be fitted for a hearing aid. Its not that I don't love celebrating my friends birthdays, but why oh why did so many of them have to be born in mid-May? Are these all the summer holiday babies? Can think of no other reason for the population explosion.


OK- already running behind schedule for this afternoon. Life of leisure, my ass.

No comments: