Monday, January 07, 2008

Year in Review (better late than never, right?)

Year in Review


1. What did you do in 2007 that you'd never done before?
I travelled to lots of new places. I did some neat diving stuff that was all new. Um, cooked some weird stuff in the kitchen? I don't think that I was particularly adventurous this year, unfortunately.

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't think so. If I remember correctly, I wanted restart Italian lessons; I didn't hardly think about doing that.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My sister, a cousin, a few girlfriends. Thank goodness its not contagious.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thankfully.

5. What countries did you visit?
I traveled to the Maldives, Ireland, Brazil, England, and of course the States. I suppose, considering the amount of time I hung out at the airport, I could legimately add Iceland to the list...

6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
A job (outside the home). Patience (this is sort of an ongoing problem...) Thick hair (a girl can dream, can't she?)

7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Nothing in particular. This wasn't a very dramatic year, I guess.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting B to agree to the kitchen renovation that I wanted, I suppose. Also, getting my diving license.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Failure to move forward on the job hunt. There are so many things that I could have done, even after I didn't get accepted to the program that I had applied to. I could have done language lessons. I could have done a different course, even if it was just an online thing and not necessarily towards another degree.
I suppose I should also list our failure to sell our house, even though, in the end, I think it all worked out for the best. We have a great flat in a great area and we have so many friends here. I would have hated to move away to a different neighborhood, even if the new house was everything that we've dreamed of.
I am also incredibly frustrated that I haven't managed to keep up with the photo albums of Ella. I have such good intentions but the big problem is that the albums that I started using for her are soooo expensive that I can't just run out and buy a new one when I fill up the last one. I have to wait until I have some money and then there is always something a bit more urgent or interesting to spend the money on and voila, here I am with about 18 months of photos sitting on my desk, waiting to be pasted into a book. Sigh.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not really- unless you count the self-inflicted kind brought about by elective surgery. Which I do not regret in the least, by the way. Extremely happy with the decision.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
I think it would have to be the bouquets of flowers that I insist of having every week. Technically, I know that it is a waste of money; but it really makes me happy to have fresh flowers around and so, unless there is absolutely zero space in my budget, I will continue to do this.
I am also very very happy that I bought that white leather Vivienne Westwood jacket. It really makes me feel good when I wear it.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Too many people to mention.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I have to say that a good friend of mine who is divorcing his wife has shocked me. I honestly can't believe that someone could behave so appalling to someone that they once loved. I suppose its par for the course in divorces, but thankfully, I haven't had to watch very many of those.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Definitely, we've spent most of our money on vacations this year.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The Harry Potter book. Going to Brazil. The Amy Winehouse CD. My solo vacations in San Fran for a wedding and in NYC with my best girlfriend.

16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
Anything from the Amy Winehouse CD, I listened to that so so much. Oooh- also I think the remake of 'The long way home' sung by Norah Jones. I listened to that song over and over after going to her concert. The funny thing is that it had been on my ipod for months and I hadn't noticed the song particularly when I listened to the whole CD. But hearing it live just marked me, I guess. I really really love that song.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

a) happier or sadder? maybe happier, because last year at this time we had our apartment up for sale and so many things seemed unknown for the year ahead, which was a bit scary. This year, I just feel like I know a bit better where I am headed.
b) thinner or fatter? About the same, I suppose. Probably I'm in better shape (although 6 weeks of vacation has had a slightly detrimental effect...)
c) richer or poorer? Richer, but not exceedingly more so.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Exercising. I love having a regular work-out routine and I just have to be more committed to sorting out my babysitting situation. I also wish I had done so more studying, of any subject.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Less mindless surfing of the internet. I waste hours doing this.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
Going to mass with my parents and siblings and then sitting down to a gorgeous meal of Alaskan salmon, lemon risotto, and asparagus washed down with several lovely bottles of wine. Christmas morning was enjoying having all my family around me and watching Ella enjoying her presents so much that she left half the pile unopened so that she could play with the first few toys. Being able to spend time with my grandparents. Watching the snow float down and turn it into a scene from Currier and Ives. Finishing up the night on the sofa with a Tom&Jerry in my hands, watching movies with my brothers and sisters.

21. Did you fall in love in 2007?
I continued to be in love with the same person, although we might be a bit more loved up than last year.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
Little Britain was our fav discovery of the year although I also bought The Office (US version) and realized that I really really like that show, as well.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Can't think of anyone in particular. Such a waste of energy hating people, anyways.

24. What was the best book you read?
I think my fav was Eat, Love, Pray . It was just the perfect book at the perfect time. But I also really liked the Harry Potter book and it was so nice to finally reach the end of the series; I liked Julie and Julia and it got me on a cooking kick, pushed me to buy the Julia Child cookbook and maybe had a little bit to do with my need to re-do the kitchen so that we could do big dinners with our friends a bit easier. I can't help but felling that I am really missing out a biggie. Can't quite figure out what it might be though.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I suppose Amy Winehouse and Mika.

26. What did you want and get?
I'm spoiled. I feel like I got just about everything that I asked for this year.

27. What did you want and not get?
I didn't get a new apartment this year. That was for the best. I didn't get the place on that program that I applied to.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I saw a lot of movies really liked this year but nothing really stands out.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 32 and had dinner under the stars, watching the sharks circle around in the water below our table when we were on holiday in the Maldives. It was so perfect that I can't see how I could possibly top that.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Some sort of work. I am not happiest when I have this much free time as I am someone who needs to have a project.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
This year has been a lot of jeans and t-shirts due to my current mommy gig. I am hoping that 2008 has a lot more call for the fav items in my closet, specifically my Louboutin heels and my VW jacket.

32. What kept you sane?
Love of husband. Also bikram yoga.


33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I don't have any particularly celebrity crushes; how boring is that?

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
I am totally apolitical. If there was a political movement against stupid people who disrupt my day, I might be able to work up a bit of steam for that. Otherwise, I can't be bothered.

35. Whom did you miss?
My family. Also, I really miss having my girlfriend Elizabeth in Paris; I have lots of good girlfriends (not in Paris); I have mommy friends; I have friends that are fun to go out with. But I haven't found anyone else who fits into all three categories, like she did.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
My diving instructor. She has given me lots of details to flesh out my fantasy life, wherein I abandon my boring Paris life and run off to a tropical island where I split my time between swimming, tanning, and eating coconuts.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.
Happiness is not mankinds natural state. You have to work hard for it.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I haven't any idea.

No comments: